Welcome to the Victory Gardens basics series. In this 4 part series, I’m going to teach you about the three key ingredients to a healthy garden. Soil, Sun & Water.
Here, in part one of this series we discuss soil. As a gardener, you need to know what soil consists of, what makes “good” soil, and what it does for your plants.
By the end of this lesson you will be able to
- Describe soil components by size and behavior
- Describe fertile soil by soil component ratio
- Understand the role of the living organisms in and on the soil
- Understand basic soil chemistry as required by most vegetable crops
- Identify fertile soil using your senses
- Protect and Care for the soil ecosystem